After having re-designed Juno in Fusion 360 I turned my attention to making some of the parts with the CNC machine I recently purchased for “work” projects.
The first to be made was the small mounting plates for the geared motors. My original idea was for these to be made by Front Panel Express but cost wise it would be cheaper to use acrylic as this seems to be strong enough and the loads on this are very small. Here is the plate design in Fusion 360 along with it assembled to the motor in Fusion 360.
After checking clearances and alignment in the main body of the design, I used Fusion 360 to create the CAM files for the Mach3 software that runs the CNC machine. You can see below the tool paths used to make this. I used a 2mm flat end mill to cutout the holes, counterbores and the outer profile. The threading you can see will be done by hand after the part is machined. Interestingly enough, Fusion 360 actually creates the holes for these at the correct tapping drill size for the 3mm threads. Cool.
The end result was 2 small mounting plates. The the only thing left was to hand cut the threads with a 3mm tap. Here is the finished parts ready to be assembled onto the motor and a quick check that everything lines up. M1.6 x 4 screws ordered, so once these arrive I can fit the plates to the motor.
Next up was the 2 clamps that secure the Raspberry Pi3 LCD to the front panel. One of these can be seen in the following cutaway image of Juno.
As I happen to have a piece of 10mm thick clear acrylic left over from a previous carving test, I decided to use this to make the 2 clamps. Here is the design in Fusion 360.
After approx 2 mins each, I had the 2 clamps cutout from the 10mm sheet. The only thing left was to set them back up on the machine to cut out the 2 holes. Here is the finished parts.
Next up is the front panel which will be done in a few days time when I can re-order the black acrylic for this as it’s a holiday here just now at the end of Ramadan and all the suppliers are closed.
Juno 3D Printed Body Parts
As a quick check on the costs for the body parts using Itead Studio’s 3D printing service, I created STL files for each part. I still have to do some refinement and extra material removal to reduce the costs but a quick upload to the website gave me a price of around US$700 for the 4 parts needed to make the body. I’ll also check out other 3D printing options but I like the Itead Studio optionfor the quality and strength, having used them a number of times before. That price does not include the base which I will get done locally in either brass or bronze, depending on the costs. I am hoping to send the parts out for making before the middle of July.